Changing your name after Marriage

Changing your name after marriage is a personal decision and the process may vary depending on your location and circumstances. However, here are some general steps that you can follow to change your name:

Get a marriage certificate: You will need to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate as proof of your marriage.

Decide on your new name: You can change your first, middle, or last name, or use a hyphenated combination of your name and your spouse’s name.

Notify government agencies: Update your name on your driver’s license, passport, and Social Security card. You may also need to update your name with the IRS, the DMV, and other government agencies.

Notify other institutions: Update your name on your bank accounts, credit cards, insurance policies, and any other accounts or documents that have your old name.

Notify your employer: Update your name with your employer so that they can update their records and issue paychecks with your new name.

Update your personal documents: Update your name on your email, social media accounts, and any other personal documents that use your name.

It’s important to note that the process may take some time, and you may need to provide documentation to prove your identity and marriage. Additionally, the process may vary depending on your location and the specific requirements of the institutions you need to update.